You prepare, you plant, you nurture, and you grow. That’s what we do with the charitable gifts entrusted to our local Foundations. We invite you to grow the future of your community with us!
The DeKalb County Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture and the DeKalb County Community Foundation are collaborating to promote philanthropy among the agriculture community. Farmers and landowners may earmark grain donations for specific initiatives.
We invite you to join in giving back, getting connected, and building a better community throughout DeKalb County.
Why Donate Grain?
Donating a gift of grain is a simple way to make a lasting difference. The value of the grain can be used to support charitable causes in your community, support a specific nonprofit organization important to you, or start an endowed fund in the name of your family. No matter what you chose to support, you can be sure that your gift of grain is growing the future of your community.
How You Benefit
By giving grain, you avoid including the sale of the grain in your farm income. Although a charitable income tax deduction is generally not available to you, the avoidance of declaring it as income is a significant benefit.
How The Community Benefits
Your gift of grain makes a positive impact in the community. By aligning generosity with your charitable interests, you can provide opportunity and support to many areas including:
- Agriculture Awareness
- Community Development
- Local Charities
- Natural Resources
- Nonprofit Support
How It Works
You deduct the cost of growing the crops which typically results in saving self-employment tax, federal income tax, and state income tax. You can benefit even if you don’t itemize your deductions and take the standard deduction. *You pay self-employment, federal income, and state income tax based on adjusted gross income (less typical exemptions, deductions, etc.).
How to Complete Your Gift
- Let the Community Foundation know which elevator you will be taking the grain to. The gift should be from unsold crop inventory with no sale commitment made prior to the gift.
- Deliver the grain to the elevator to the Gift of Grain account.
- Request a settlement report from the elevator. This must show the Foundation as the owner of the grain.
- We will provide you with a donation receipt for your gift. Remember, it is non-deductible on your taxes. Instead, you won’t declare this amount of grain as income for your farm.
- After the grain is donated, the elevator will sell it at the spot closing price on the day of delivery for the Gift of Grain account. The settlement sheet will name the Community Foundation as the seller of the grain and the Foundation will receive sale proceeds for your intended purpose.
When you donate grain, you will need to decide how you would like your donation to be used. You may choose either the DeKalb County Farm Bureau Foundation or the DeKalb County Community Foundation. Download the grain elevator form here or at the elevator.
For more information please contact: